We are delighted to announce a new partnership with Elevation Chartered Accountants can assist non resident businesses with their GST registration and ongoing compliance in New Zealand.
In New Zealand non resident business have to register and account for GST on sales to consumers at 15% if their annual turnover is $60,000 (NZD) or greater in the last 12 months, or turnover is expected to be more than $60,000 in the next 12 months.
There is however no GST on sales to GST-registered New Zealand businesses. To confirm if your customer is a New Zealand resident you’ll need to check you have two non-conflicting pieces of evidence that indicate the recipient of the service is a New Zealand resident. You can use as evidence:
• the person’s billing address
• the internet protocol (IP) address of the device used by the person or another geolocation method
• the person’s bank details, including the account the person uses for payment or the billing address held by the bank
• the mobile country code of the international mobile subscriber identity stored on the subscriber identity module (SIM) card used by the person
• the location of the customer’s fixed land line through which the service is supplied to them
• any other commercially relevant information.
Sellers should treat New Zealand resident customers as not registered for GST unless the customer states they are GST-registered, or provides their GST registration number or a New Zealand business number.
The frequency of returns depends upon your volume of business:
|$500,000 to $24m||Two monthly|
|Below $500,000||Six monthly|
There are two types of registration, depending upon whether you maintain inventory in New Zealand or your products are supplied remotely. If you maintain inventory in New Zealand you will be able to reclaim GST on your costs, but a remote seller will simply account for GST on their sales.
Elevation Chartered Accountants can be contacted via Elver E-Commerce or directly by emailing email@example.com.